Nepali cucumber pickle salad is usually made daily there.
It is a loved achar called kaakro ko achar and is served alongside just about any dish and any time of day.
This recipe calls for some ingredients that may be hard to find but there are substitutes if can’t get the exact ingredients.
The end result of this recipe is that it adds a refreshing bite next to the other dishes that were served as part of our Nepali meal.
It does still have some heat as does most all of the Nepali dishes.
The heat however was mellowed by the natural coolness of the yogurt and cucumbers.
We loved it!
Nepali Cucumber Pickle Salad (Kaakro Ko Achar)
- 4 medium cucumbers peeled and seeded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1/8 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 green chili
- 2 teaspoons black pepper ground
- 1/8 tsp ground Sichuan pepper Just eliminate if you can’t find Sichuan
- 1 Tablespoon mustard oil ( use vegetable oil with a few mustard seeds crushed if you can’t find it.
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp Jimbu Himilayan Herb or substitute 1 small shallot minced
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Shred the cucumbers into long strips using a julienne peeler.
- Then, in a strainer, combine the shredded cucumbers and salt over a mixing bowl.
- Let them rest until the juices are released, pressing occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Press and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and toast the sesame seeds, stirring constantly to prevent the seeds burning, until they just start to turn golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Put the seeds into a bowl, and let them cool. Transfer the seeds to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind to a fine powder.
- Place the cucumbers in a bowl, and add the ground sesame, yogurt, coriander, lemon juice, green chili, pepper and sechuan and mix well.
- Heat the mustard oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the fenugreek seeds and jimbu or shallots and fry until they turn brown and fragrant, about 5 seconds.
- Remove the pan from heat and immediately add the turmeric.
- Pour into the cucumber mixture, mix well, cover, and set aside for at least 10 minutes.