Nepali pizza called chatamari is a beloved street food.
It is easy to see why.
It has a perfectly crunchy pizza crust made of rice flour. The topping can be anything from vegetarian style just with onions, and tomatoes or often it is made with some type of minced meat like buffalo or chicken along with the onions.
It also is topped with some cheese and an egg.
The chatamari is cooked on the stove top all at once and only takes a quick 7-8 minutes.
I think this could be the new rage. The mixture that is put on top of the pizza is seasoned with all those delicious Nepali spices including some red chili powder and a fresh chili for a touch of heat.
A keeper indeed!
Nepali Pizza (Chatamari)
- 2 cups rice flour
- 3/4 cup water +/-
- 4-6 eggs
- 1 cup minced meat chicken, or buffalo
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 serrano chili pepper finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Schezwan pepper or regular pepper if unavailable
- 1 Tablespoon garlic-ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheese
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 tablespoon oil per chatamari
- In a bowl mix together rice flour and water until you get a thin batter but not too watery. Add water slowly and more if needed.
- In another bowl mix together the meat if using, onion, cilantro, cumin-coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili powder, pepper, salt, ginger-garlic paste, serrano and two eggs.
- In a skillet that has a lid, heat a tablespoon of oil to medium high heat. A non-stick pan works great for this.
- Pour the batter to make a 6 inch circle like a pancake.
- Add a portion of the other mixture on top
- Break a whole egg on top.
- Add about a tablespoon of cheese
- Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes
- Serve hot you can ads some cilantro and tomatoes for garnish