Old Sour sauce is found in every kitchen in the Bahamas. It is normally made with sour oranges but limes work equally as well. Bird peppers are very hot and native in the Bahamas. You can substitute habaneros or any spicy chili you like. It really adds a nice kick to chicken souse and the Bahamian salad. I will keep some on hand. Make it a day or two ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld.
Old Sour (Hot and Sour Pepper Sauce)
- 10-12 Sour oranges or limes squeezed and seeded
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 5-10 Bird peppers or chile such as habanero serrano etc. (add to taste, if you like it hot add more.)
- Place the ingredients in a bottle (many Bahamians use coke bottles)
- Refrigerate for a day or two ahead of use
- Serve with Chicken souse, Bahamian Salad or anything else you would like.