I love to use a deep fryer for this type of recipe, it makes the work quick and easy and you can serve them while they are still warm instead of working in small batches using a frying pan. It worked beautifully for this fried eggplant and zucchini recipe. This is the one I have and I love it.
Did you know that when an Albanian is agreeing with you, he or she will shake their head, and when they are disagreeing they nod. It can be a bit confusing. Yes means no, and no means yes. If you would like to learn more about the country be sure to check out "Our Journey to Albania". Here you will also find more authentic recipes for your Albanian meal.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Albanian Fried Eggplant and Zucchini
- 1 large eggplant or two medium peeled and sliced lengthwise or in circles
- 2 zucchini sliced lengthwise or in circles
- ½ cucumber peeled and chopped finely
- ½ cup yogurt Greek style
- 2 tablespoon salt- for sprinkling the eggplant and zucchini
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt to taste
- ½ cup Flour
- 6-8 tablespoons Water
- olive oil for frying
- Generously salt the eggplant and zucchini, let sit for about 1 hour and let drain in a colander.
- Meanwhile, mix together the yogurt, finely chopped cucumber, garlic and salt to taste, Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Rinse off the salt and squeeze the eggplant of any excess liquid
- Pat dry
- In a bowl mix together about ½ cup of flour and 6-8 tablespoons of water, you want a smooth consistency, add additional water as necessary.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan with just enough oil to coat the bottom, to medium high.
- Pass the zucchini and eggplant through the flour mixture on both sides and place in the hot oil.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Serve warm with prepared cucumber sauce.