Byrek me Spinaq, is an Albanian spinach pie. Plentiful soil and fertile climate found in the central part of the country make vegetables plentiful and readily available in the farmers markets of Albania that are open daily. Freshness is the key. I happen to have lots of spinach and onions in my own garden and this recipe was a wonderful way to use it.
Byrek is made with all sorts of different innards but to watch someone make the dough from scratch is a real treat. I just bought phyllo dough sheets and followed the package directions. It is an art form to work with phyllo dough, just remember that if it doesn’t look perfect your byrek me spinaq will still taste amazing.
If you would like to learn more about this country be sure to check out “Our Journey to Albania” There you will find more delicious and authentic recipes to complete your Albanian meal.
Craving even more? Be sure to join the culinary and cultural journey around the world so you don’t miss a thing, it’s free, You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook , Pinterest and youtube to follow along our journey.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission however, it will in no way affect the price you pay. I thank you for your support!
Bryek me Spinaq- Albanian Spinach Pie
Albanian spinach pie is savory and delicious, you should try it!
- 2 bunches spinach about 1 lb. chopped
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese diced
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup olive oil divided
- 1 package Phyllo dough sheets 1 packet about 28 sheets
- In a bowl, sprinkle the chopped spinach with salt.
- Add the feta, ½ cup of olive oil, onions, eggs and mix all together and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 8 or 9” pie tin, brush the bottom with some olive oil ( you will be using approx. ½ cup of olive oil to brush the layers of Phyllo dough.
- Lay two sheets of dough and brush with oil.
- Let the dough hang over the pie tin about 1” around.
- Repeat this process until ½ of the sheets are laid.
- Pour in the spinach mixture.
- Finish by covering the mixture with two sheet of dough at time, using the same method as the bottom half.
- Roll the edges up like a pizza crust.
- Bush the top with olive oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a golden brown.
- Serve warm.