Luxembourg potato fritters called gromperekichelcher (trying saying that three times fast) are awesome. Crispy fritters made of grated potatoes, onions, shallots and parsley, held together with some flour and eggs. Typically these are made flat, but I missed that part of the instructions as I just used my tablespoon scooper and dropped them in my deep fryer. They were delicious, but to be authentic, they should be formed flat like a small pancake. We served these along side a trout in Riesling sauce and were a lovely accompaniment.
Luxembourg Potato Fritters (Gromperekichelcher)
- 1 1 lb potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 shallot
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- Wash, peel and coarsely grate the potatoes
- Put them in a cloth to remove excess water by pressing it.
- Put them in a bowl
- chop the parsley, shallots, and onions and mix them in. Add the beaten eggs, Salt and pepper to taste and finally mix in the flour.
- heat the oil in a pan until very hot or you can use your deep fryer.
- Form the batter into flat cakes and fry them in the oil on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil, serve warm